Orange Sticky Rolls
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan, heat and stir milk, the 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, shortening and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degrees F) and shortening almost melts.
- Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that's smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total).
- Shape dough into a ball. Place the ball in a lightly greased bowl; turn once to grease surface. Cover and let rise in a warm place until the dough is doubled in size (about 1 hour).
- Roll each portion of dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Spread half of the filling mixture over each. Starting from a long side, roll up into a spiral. Seal seam. Slice each roll into twelve 1-inch pieces. Place in prepared pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly doubled (about 30 minutes).
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack for 2 minutes; remove from pans.
- If you like, drizzle Powdered Sugar Icing over the rolls. Makes 24.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare and shape rolls as directed. Cover with plastic wrap and then foil. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 20 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack for 2 minutes. Remove from pans. Serve as directed.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a bowl, mix sifted powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough orange juice or milk to make icing of drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Orange Sticky Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 153 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 133 mg sodium ,
- 23 g carb.