Cinnamon Rolls with a Maple-Nut Variation
- In a large mixing bowl combine 2-1/4 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a saucepan heat and stir milk, butter, granulated sugar, and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape into a ball. Place in a greased bowl, turning once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
- Punch dough down. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Lightly grease two 9x1-1/2-inch round baking pans or 2 baking sheets. Roll each half of dough into a 12x8-inch rectangle. Sprinkle Brown Sugar Filling over dough rectangles. If desired, sprinkle with raisins and pecans. Roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll style, starting from a long side. Seal seams. Slice each roll into 12 pieces. Place, cut sides down, in prepared pans or on prepared baking sheets.
- Cover dough loosely with clear plastic wrap, leaving room for rolls to rise. Refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours. Uncover; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. (Or, to bake rolls right away, dont chill dough. Instead, cover loosely; let dough rise in warm place until nearly double, about 30 minutes.)
- Break any surface bubbles with a greased toothpick. Brush dough with half-and-half or light cream. Bake in 375 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown (if necessary, cover rolls loosely with foil for the last 5 to 10 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning). Remove from oven. Brush again with half-and-half or light cream. Cool for 1 minute. Carefully invert rolls onto wire rack. Cool slightly. Invert again onto a serving platter. Drizzle with Vanilla Glaze. Serve warm. Makes 24 rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as at left, except omit the Brown Sugar Filling and Vanilla Glaze. Mix 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, and 1 tablespoon apple pie spice. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/4 cup butter until crumbly. Stir in 1 cup finely snipped dried apricots. Sprinkle over rectangles; top with 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans. Continue as at left. Drizzle rolls with 1 recipe Maple Glaze (see below).
Maple Glaze for the Maple-Nut Rolls:
Heat 3 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat 7 to 10 minutes or until light brown; remove from heat. Stir in 1-1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1/4 cup maple or maple-flavored syrup. If needed, stir in milk to make drizzling consistency.
- In small mixing bowl stir together sifted powdered sugar, light-colored corn syrup, and vanilla. Stir in enough half-and-half or light cream to make drizzling consistency.
Brown Sugar Filling
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together packed brown sugar, all-purpose flour, and ground cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly.
Nutrition Facts (Cinnamon Rolls with a Maple-Nut Variation)
- Per serving:
- 203 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 42 mg chol. ,
- 120 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g pro.