- Prepare and chill Quick-Method Croissant Dough as directed.
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine apples and granulated sugar. Heat slowly until liquid accumulates. Bring mixture to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until apples are tender. Uncover and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more or until most of the liquid evaporates. Stir in cinnamon. Mash apples slightly, leaving some chunks; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat butter, powdered sugar, flour, vanilla, and maple flavoring with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until light and fluffy; set aside.
- To shape claws, cut chilled dough crosswise in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 12-inch square. Cut each square into three 4-inch-wide strips (6 strips total).
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the maple mixture down the center of each strip. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the apple mixture on top of the maple mixture. Fold the strips lengthwise in half to cover the filling. Pinch the edges to seal.
- Cut each strip into three 4-inch-long pieces. Make 4 or 5 evenly spaced cuts in each piece, snipping from the sealed edge almost to the folded edge. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets, curving slightly to separate slits. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double (45 to 60 minutes).
- In a small mixing bowl beat egg and water using a fork. Lightly brush dough with egg mixture. Bake in a 375 degree F oven about 15 minutes or until pastries are golden. Remove pastries from baking sheets. Cool slightly on wire racks. Drizzle with Maple Glaze, Serve warm. Makes 18 claws.
From the Test Kitchen
Storing Pastries To store croissants and Danish to enjoy for another time, place the baked pastries in an airtight container or bag and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. (Storage at room temperature is not recommended because of their high butter content.) Let the pastries stand at room temperature about 25 minutes before serving.
To freeze golden baked croissants and Danish, place them in a freezer container or bag and freeze up to 2 months. To serve wrap frozen croissants or Danish in foil and bake in a 400 degree F oven for 5 to 8 minutes or until warm.
- In a small mixing bowl combine sifted powdered sugar, maple flavoring, and enough milk to make a glaze that is easy to drizzle.
Nutrition Facts (Apple-Maple Claws)
- Per serving:
- 345 kcal ,
- 19 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 73 mg chol. ,
- 227 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g pro.