Sweet Potato Pie
- Prepare the All-Butter Piecrust as directed, except after removing foil and weights, bake about 5 minutes more or until set but not browned. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, wrap them in foil, and roast in the oven 60 to 70 minutes or until tender. Reduce oven to 375 degrees F.
- Let sweet potatoes cool. Peel and place in a bowl. Mash with a potato masher. (You should have about 2 cups.) In a food processor combine mashed sweet potatoes, cream, brown sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon, and a pinch of kosher salt. Cover and process just until smooth. Pour the sweet potato filling into the piecrust. Cover edges of pie with foil. Bake 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes more or until evenly puffed and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and 11/2 tsp. kosher salt. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until butter is bean-size. Stir in 3/4 cup of the water, a few tablespoons at a time. Squeeze a small handful of dough. If dough is still crumbly, stir in the remaining water, 1 Tbsp. at a time.
- For Ian's mixing method: Turn dough out in a mound on a work surface. Starting with a quarter of the mixture, smear that section of the dough with the palm of your hand, pushing away from the mound. Repeat with remaining dough sections. Gather the dough into a ball, divide into thirds, wrap in plastic wrap, and press each into a round disk. Chill 30 to 60 minutes.
- Using a floured rolling pin on a generously floured surface, roll one portion of dough into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate and trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold extra dough under, even with the pie plate edge; press it together. Flute as desired. Prick the bottom and sides of dough several times with a fork.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line dough with a double thickness of foil; fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake about 20 minutes or until sides are golden and firm. Remove weights and foil; bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until the bottom is golden. Cool completely on wire rack. Makes three 9-inch piecrusts.
From the Test Kitchen
If you don't use all three of these baked crusts, freeze the extras to use later.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato Pie)
- Per serving:
- 295 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 75 mg chol. ,
- 147 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.