Sweet Potato and Carrot Spoon Bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. In a large pot cook sweet potatoes and carrots in lightly salted boiling water for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain and return to pot. Use a potato masher to mash the mixture until nearly smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine milk, cornmeal, butter, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool slightly.
- In a very large bowl combine mashed sweet potato mixture, cornmeal mixture, flour, maple syrup, whipping cream, and egg yolks.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Gently fold some of the beaten egg whites into squash mixture to lighten. Fold in remaining egg whites. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake about 40 minutes or until top is golden and center feels firm when lightly touched. Cool slightly. If desired, drizzle with honey.
From the Test Kitchen
Dont like cinnamon? Use a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg instead. Want added texture? Toss in 2 cups cooked corn kernels. Not a fan of carrots? Replace them with turnips.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Potato and Carrot Spoon Bread )
- Per serving:
- 267 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 100 mg chol. ,
- 298 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.