Sweet Dark Cherry and Almond Scones
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter pieces until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine buttermilk, cherries, almonds, and almond extract. Add buttermilk mixture all at once to the flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for 10 to 12 strokes or until dough is nearly smooth. Divide dough in half. Pat or lightly roll each dough half into a 7-inch circle that is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each circle into eight wedges.
- Place dough wedges on the prepared baking sheets. Bake about 15 minutes or until scones are golden on top. Transfer to wire racks. (To serve today, omit Steps 5 and 6 and continue as directed in Step 7.)
- Cool scones completely. Place in an airtight container; cover. Freeze for up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Wrap frozen scones in foil. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 1 cup sour milk, place 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Dark Cherry and Almond Scones)
- Per serving:
- 211 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 226 mg sodium ,
- 31 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.