Sweet Cream Biscuits with Strawberry Gravy
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl stir together flour, the 1/2 cup sugar, the baking powder, and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir enough of the cream into the flour mixture to just moisten the flour.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it just until dough holds together. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch round cutter. Dip cutter into flour between cuts and reroll scraps as necessary.
- Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove biscuits from baking sheet. Cool slightly. (You will only need six biscuits for this recipe. Store any remaining biscuits to use later.*)
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring 2 1/4 cups of the milk to simmering. Slowly add instant wheat cereal, whisking constantly until fully incorporated. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to simmering. Stir in the 1/3 cup sugar, the vanilla, and the 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook for 2 minutes more. Add enough of the remaining 1/4 cup milk as needed to thin out cereal so it is the consistency of gravy. Stir in the 1 cup chopped strawberries.
- To serve, use a long serrated knife to cut biscuits in half horizontally. Place cut biscuits on six serving plates. Spoon cereal mixture over cut biscuits; top with sliced strawberries.
From the Test Kitchen
Place any remaining biscuits in an airtight container. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Cream Biscuits with Strawberry Gravy)
- Per serving:
- 555 kcal ,
- 22 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 79 mg chol. ,
- 438 mg sodium ,
- 80 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 35 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.