Sweet Corn Soup (Sopa de Elote)
- Using long-handled tongs, hold one of the chile peppers directly over a high flame on a gas stove or over high heat on an electric stove. Slowly rotate pepper over heat until blackened on all sides. Transfer pepper immediately to a resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Repeat with the remaining pepper. Let peppers steam until cool enough to handle. Remove peppers from bag; halve peppers and remove stems, seeds, and membranes.* Using a paring knife, scrape charred skins from peppers. Cut skinned chile peppers into 1-inch long strips.
- In a large saucepan cook onion in hot oil over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly soft. Stir in pepper strips, 2 cups of the corn, and the garlic. Cook and stir for 5 minutes more. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor or blender combine the remaining 4 cups corn, the tomatoes, and 2 cups of the broth. Cover and pulse with several on/off turns until mixture is smooth. Stir pureed mixture into mixture in saucepan. Add the remaining 4 cups broth, the salt, and black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle each serving with crumbled queso fresco and cilantro. Top with Fried Tortilla Strips.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Fried Tortilla Strips
- In a large skillet heat 1 inch of oil over medium-high heat until hot. Cook one-fourth of tortilla strips at a time until golden brown. Using a slotted spoon remove strips from oil; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Corn Soup (Sopa de Elote))
- Per serving:
- 449 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 8 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg chol. ,
- 1092 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.