Sweet Citrus Krumkaker
- In a small saucepan melt butter over low heat; set aside to cool slightly. In a medium bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute. Gradually add sugar; beat about 3 minutes or until sugar is almost dissolved, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in cooled butter until combined. Stir in flour, vanilla, and, if desired, shredded lemon peel just until mixture is combined and smooth.
- Heat a nonelectric krumkake iron on the range top over medium-low heat. Lightly grease the krumkake grid. If using a 6-inch iron, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the batter onto the krumkake grid. Close iron gently but firmly. Cook over medium-low heat about 30 seconds. (Or cook batter in an electric krumkake iron according to manufacturer's directions.) Carefully open krumkake iron. Using a narrow spatula, loosen cookie from grid. Invert cookie onto a wire rack. Immediately roll the cookie around a metal cone. Let cookie cool around cone until it holds a cone shape.
- Repeat, heating the krumkake iron and cooking the remaining batter 1 tablespoon at a time. Completely cool the rolled cookie cones on wire racks.
- To decorate cookies, in a small microwave-safe bowl microwave the candy coating, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 30 to 60 seconds or until melted and smooth, stirring twice. Place crushed lemon drops in a small shallow bowl.
- Carefully dip the rim of a cookie into melted candy coating, letting excess drip back into bowl. Immediately dip rim into crushed lemon drops to coat. Place krumkake on a cookie sheet lined with waxed paper. Repeat with remaining cookies, candy coating, and crushed lemon drops. Let stand about 30 minutes or until set.
- To fill krumkaker, spoon Lemon Cream into a decorating bag fitted with a large star tip. Pipe cream into the cones. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Place undipped and unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Coat and fill as directed in Steps 4 through 6.
- In a medium bowl combine cream cheese and lemon curd. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is combined and smooth.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Citrus Krumkaker)
- Per serving:
- 159 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 53 mg chol. ,
- 85 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.