Sweet Beets and Greens Smoothies
- In a medium saucepan cook beets, covered, in boiling water for 30 to 40 minutes or until very tender. Drain beets in a colander. Run cold water over beets until cool. Drain well.
- In a blender combine beets, blueberries, strawberries, pomegranate juice, and honey. Cover and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape sides of blender as needed. Add chard (blender will be full); cover and blend until very smooth, stopping to scrape sides of blender as needed.
- Pour into tall glasses and serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Use fresh beets for the best flavor. If fresh beets are unavailable, you can substitute one 8-ounce package refrigerated cooked whole baby beets for the fresh beets (see photo, page xx).
Prepare smoothies as directed. Transfer to an airtight freezer container. Cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator. Stir well before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Sweet Beets and Greens Smoothies)
- Per serving:
- 178 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 89 mg sodium ,
- 44 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 37 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.