Swedish Vanilla-Butter Cookies
- Cut vanilla bean in half lengthwise; using the tip of a knife, scrape the seeds from the bean halves into a small bowl; set half of the vanilla bean seeds aside for White Chocolate and Vanilla Drizzle.
- In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, the remaining vanilla bean seeds, and the salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Shape each dough half into an 8-inch roll (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter). Wrap each roll in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill about 2 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until cookies just begin to brown on edges. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
- Arrange cookies side by side on cookie sheets lined with waxed paper or parchment paper; drizzle cookies with White Chocolate and Vanilla Drizzle. Let stand until drizzle is set. If necessary, chill in the refrigerator about 10 minutes or until drizzle is set.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
White Chocolate and Vanilla Drizzle
- In a small saucepan heat and stir 4 ounces high-quality white chocolate (with cocoa butter), chopped, and 2 teaspoons shortening over low heat until melted and smooth. Stir in the reserved vanilla bean seeds.
Nutrition Facts (Swedish Vanilla-Butter Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 61 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 8 mg chol. ,
- 29 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.