Recipes and Cooking Summer Dogs Be the first to rate & review! Grilled corn, basil, and tomatoes make this hot dog recipe fit squarely in the "summer recipe" category. For crunch, garnish these fancy hot dogs with sunflower kernels--or serve them alongside a handful of potato chips. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on February 23, 2021 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Blaine Moats Start To Finish Time: 25 mins Servings: 8 Yield: 8 hot dogs Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup grilled corn kernels* ⅓ cup finely chopped onion (1 small) ⅓ cup snipped fresh basil 1 tablespoon mayonnaise 1 tablespoon sour cream 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar ¼ teaspoon salt ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper ⅛ teaspoon sugar 1 recipe Grilled Hot Dogs 2 ⅔ cup shredded romaine lettuce 2 medium roma tomatoes, thinly sliced 1 medium avocado, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced Sliced fresh jalapeño chile peppers** (optional) Dry-roasted sunflower kernels (optional) Grilled Hot Dogs 8 frankfurters or smoked chicken, kielbasa, or bratwurst sausage links 8 frankfurter buns, split Directions In a small bowl stir together corn, onion, basil, mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and sugar. Fill each bun from Grilled Hot Dogs with 1/3 cup of the shredded lettuce. Arrange tomato slices on one side of buns and avocado slices on the other side of buns. Place grilled frankfurters in buns. Top each frankfurter with about 1 tablespoon of the corn mixture. If desired, sprinkle with jalapeño peppers and sunflower kernels. Pass the remaining corn mixture. Grilled Hot Dogs For a charcoal or gas grill, place frankfurters on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 3 to 7 minutes or until heated through, turning occasionally. Remove from grill. If desired, place 8 frankfurter buns, cut sides down, on grill rack. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve frankfurters in buns as directed in individual recipes. We suggest using bratwurst with these toppings. *Tip: For grilled corn kernels, remove husks and silks from 2 fresh ears of corn. Brush corn lightly with vegetable oil or coat with nonstick cooking spray. For a charcoal or gas grill, place corn on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 15 to 18 minutes or until corn is crisp-tender and charred, turning frequently. Cool slightly and cut kernels from cobs. **Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 333 Calories 19g Fat 31g Carbs 11g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 8 Calories 333 % Daily Value * Total Fat 19g 24% Saturated Fat 6g 30% Cholesterol 26mg 9% Sodium 772mg 34% Total Carbohydrate 31g 11% Total Sugars 6g Protein 11g Vitamin C 8.9mg 45% Calcium 98mg 8% Iron 2.6mg 14% Potassium 455mg 10% Folate, total 104.7mcg Vitamin B-12 0.7mcg Vitamin B-6 0.2mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.