- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl combine butter and shortening. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place balls 2 inches apart a parchment-lined or ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are very light brown. (Do not let edges brown.) Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; cool completely.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed, except reduce sugar to 1-1/3 cups and beat in 1/3 cup honey or lavender-flavor honey with the sugar. Increase flour to 2 cups. Continue as directed. (Centers may dip slightly after baking.) For icing, in a medium bowl combine 1/4 cup honey, 3 tablespoons softened butter, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Gradually beat in 3 cups powdered sugar. Beat in 1/4 cup milk to make icing of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled cookies. Makes about 48 cookies.
Nutrition Facts per cookie: 128 calories, 1 g protein, 21 g carb., 5 g total fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 2 g sat. fat, 0 g fiber, 2% Vitamin A, 0% Vitamin C, 52 mg sodium, 0% calcium, 2% iron
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Test Kitchen Tip
Nutrition Facts (Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 88 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 18 mg chol. ,
- 47 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.