Sugar-and-Spice Coffee Slices
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. In a small bowl stir together the espresso powder and hot water until dissolved. Add to sugar mixture along with the egg; beat until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a 7x2x1-inch loaf. Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap; chill dough about 2 hours or until firm.*
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut loaves into 3/8-inch-thick slices. Place slices about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Sprinkle slices with Coffee Topping. If desired, gently press a few coffee beans onto each slice.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Let stand for 1 minute on cookie sheet. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
From the Test Kitchen
You can chill the dough loaves for up to 3 days in the refrigerator or freeze them for up to 1 week before slicing and baking.
Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
- In a small bowl stir together sugar and instant espresso powder.
Nutrition Facts (Sugar-and-Spice Coffee Slices)
- Per serving:
- 77 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 37 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 7 g sugar