Holiday Corn Bread Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a very large deep ovenproof skillet,* melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and celery; cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is soft and golden.
- Remove from heat. Add bread cubes, corn bread, reserved celery leaves, fresh sage, marjoram, salt, dried sage, and pepper to onion mixture; stir to combine. Add broth and eggs; stir to combine and moisten bread.
- Bake dressing, uncovered, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until golden brown on top. If dressing begins to brown too quickly, cover it with foil and continue to bake. Serve warm. Makes 20 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
If the skillet is not large enough to mix all the dressing ingredients, after cooking the onion and celery, use a large bowl for mixing. Either return some of the unbaked dressing to the skillet to bake, or divide dressing between two 13x9x2-inch baking pans or 3-quart baking dishes. For two pans, cut baking time by about half. Center of dressing should register 165 degrees F. on an instant read thermometer.
The bread may be cubed and stored in an airtight container 1 day before assembling dressing. The Corn Bread recipe can be made ahead and frozen.
Salt & Pepper Skillet Corn Bread
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet with 2 tablespoons bacon grease or olive oil. Heat the skillet in the oven while mixing batter. In a large bowl, stir to combine 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal, 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt, 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Stir in 2 cups well-shaken buttermilk, 2 large lightly beaten eggs, and 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter just until combined. Batter should be lumpy; do not over-mix. Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake about 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Turn corn bread out of skillet, cut in wedges, and serve warm. Or cool slightly to crumble to make Holiday Corn Bread Dressing.
Nutrition Facts (Holiday Corn Bread Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 275 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 109 mg chol. ,
- 373 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.