Chunky Corn Bread Dressing
- Cut corn bread and white bread into 1/2-inch cubes. (You should have about 7 cups corn bread cubes and 4 cups white bread cubes.) Spread corn bread cubes on 1 or 2 shallow baking pans and white bread cubes on another baking pan. Bake in a 325 degree F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once. Remove and place in a very large mixing bowl.
- In a large skillet melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add leeks and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in sage, thyme, and pepper. Add to bread cubes in bowl.
- In same skillet melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes or until most of the liquid is evaporated. Add to bread mixture in bowl. Stir in bacon pieces.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine eggs and 2 cups of the broth. Pour over ingredients in very large mixing bowl, tossing lightly to coat. Add enough additional broth to make a stuffing of desired moistness.
- Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Place dressing in prepared dish. Bake, covered, for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes more or until top is lightly browned and dressing is heated through. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme and sage sprigs. Makes 10 to 12 side-dish servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the dressing as directed, up through the addition of the bacon pieces. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hours. Add eggs and broth. Bake dressing 25 minutes after uncovering or until it is heated through.
- Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up the sides of a 9x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
- In another bowl combine eggs, milk, and cooking oil or melted shortening. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 8 or 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Chunky Corn Bread Dressing)
- Per serving:
- 308 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 145 mg chol. ,
- 656 mg sodium ,
- 34 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 11 g pro.