- In a large skillet cook bacon over medium heat just until brown but not crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels.
- Trim fat from steak. Score both sides of steak in a diamond pattern by making shallow diagonal cuts at 1-inch intervals. Cut meat in half lengthwise. Place portions of meat between two pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, lightly pound each meat portion into a 10x6-inch rectangle, working from the center to the edges. Discard plastic wrap. Sprinkle meat with 1/2 teaspoon of the lemon-pepper seasoning and the salt. Arrange bacon slices lengthwise on meat.
- In a medium bowl combine spinach, feta, bread crumbs, the dried thyme, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning. Spread stuffing over meat. Starting from a short side, roll each portion of meat into a spiral. Secure with wooden toothpicks at 1-inch intervals, starting 1/2 inch from one end. Cutting between the toothpicks, slice each roll into six 1-inch-thick pinwheels. On each of six 6-inch skewers,* thread two pinwheels.
- For a charcoal grill, grill pinwheels on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 14 minutes for medium doneness (160 degrees F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place pinwheels on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
- To serve, remove pinwheels from skewers; remove toothpicks. If desired, garnish pinwheels with fresh thyme sprigs and serve with grilled tomatoes.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Stuffed-Steak Pinwheels)
- Per serving:
- 225 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 50 mg chol. ,
- 671 mg sodium ,
- 4 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 1 g sugar ,
- 24 g pro.