Stuffed Poblano Chiles with Sausage & Corn
- For stuffing, in a small saucepan combine the water, farro, chipotle pepper, and the 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until farro is tender; drain. Remove chipotle pepper. If desired, remove stems and seeds from pepper, then chop and stir into farro. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, in a 12-inch skillet cook sausage for 5 minutes. Add onion, celery, sweet pepper, serrano pepper, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sausage is no longer pink. Stir in pimiento, beans, oregano, chili powder, the 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, the corn, and farro. Heat through. Season to taste with salt.
- Fill the roasted peppers with stuffing. Transfer stuffed peppers to a shallow baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until heated through. Serve with salsa, if desired.
From the Test Kitchen
Wear plastic or rubber gloves when handling hot chile peppers, such as serranos and pasillas. The volatile oils in hot peppers can burn skin and eyes. If your bare hands touch the peppers, wash well with warm soapy water. Also wash utensils and cutting board with hot soap water.
For easiest peeling, broil peppers, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until skins blister and blacken in spots. Bring foil up around peppers to enclose. Let stand for 8 to 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. While warm, lift off skin, using a knife tip if necessary.
Nutrition Facts (Stuffed Poblano Chiles with Sausage & Corn)
- Per serving:
- 181 kcal ,
- 3 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 325 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.