- In an 8-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot gently stir together strawberries, 2 cups of the sugar, and the lemon juice. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Gradually stir in the remaining 5 cups sugar and the butter. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves; reduce heat to low. Simmer gently, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in pectin. Return to boiling. Boil hard for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Quickly skim off foam with a metal spoon. Stir in tarragon.
- Ladle hot preserves into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks. To distribute fruit, cool about 20 minutes, then gently turn and tilt jars; repeat as needed. (Do not invert the sealed jars.)
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry-Tarragon Preserves)
- Per serving:
- 41 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 0 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 10 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.
Kathy Timm 815 Days Ago
I crush the berries and make this more like jam. My husband can't get enough of it. I also leave out the butter.