Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with parchment paper*; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, the 6 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Using the back of a spoon, make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl stir together egg, sour cream, and milk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once, stirring with a fork just until moistened.
- Using a small offset metal spatula, spread dough evenly in the prepared pan. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- Meanwhile, combine 4 cups of the strawberries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. If desired, use a potato masher to mash berries slightly; set aside.
- To serve, using a x-inch round cutter, cut 12 pieces of shortcake. Layer 2 shortcake pieces, 1/2 cup strawberry mixture, and 1/3 cup Sweetened Whipped Cream into six 8-oz. regular mouth canning jars. Top with remaining sliced strawberries.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except drop dough into eight mounds on a greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to wire rack; cool completely. Serve as directed. Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: same as above
Strawberry Lemon-Poppy Seed Shortcake:
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except stir 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per serving: same as above except 382 calories, 23 g total fat, 3 g fiber, 11% calcium, 10% iron
Mixed Berry or Mixed Fruit Shortcake:
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except substitute 5 cups mixed fresh berries (blueberries, raspberries, and/or blackberries) or 5 cups mixed fresh fruit (sliced peaches, nectarines, bananas, strawberries, raspberries, and/or halved grapes) for the 5 cups sliced strawberries. Do not mash fruit. If desired, drizzle fruit mixture with honey.
Per shortcake: same as above except 394 calories, 45 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 21 g total sugar, 17% Vitamin A, 25% Vitamin C Exchanges: 1 fruit Carb Choice: 3
Prepare Strawberry Shortcake as directed, except stir 1/2 cup chopped walnuts into flour mixture after cutting in butter.
Per serving: same as above except 424 calories, 6 g protein, 27 g total fat, 3 g fiber, 20 g total sugar, 10% iron Exchanges: .5 high-fat meat Carb Choice: 3
Prepare as above, except omit strawberries. In a large skillet heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples and 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries. Cook for 4 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Add 1/3 cup sugar and stir to dissolve sugar. Cool slightly. Serve as above.
Nutrition analysis per serving: same as above except 440 calories, 51 g carbohydrate, 25 g total fat (15 g sat. fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 30 g total sugar, 18% Vitamin A, 8% Vitamin C, 300 mg sodium, 9% calcium, 8% iron Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1.5 other, 5 fat Carb Choice: 3.5
If you don't have an 8x1 1/2-inch baking pan, spread the dough to an 8-inch circle on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake as above. Cool on baking sheet. Split and assemble as above.
Sweetened Whipped Cream
- In a chilled bowl combine whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl).