Strawberry Lemon Icebox Cake
- For crust, in a medium bowl combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter. Press into bottom of a 8- or 9- inch springform pan. Set aside.*
- For filling, in a medium saucepan combine the sugar, gelatin, and cornstarch. Add lemon peel, lemon juice, and water. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir half of the lemon mixture into the egg yolks. Return lemon-egg mixture to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until filling comes to gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in cut-up butter until melted. Transfer to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Cool 20 minutes.
- Place yogurt in a large bowl; gradually stir in lemon filling. Carefully spoon into crust-lined pan. Cover and freeze overnight.
- For topping, in a medium-size chilled bowl, beat whipping cream to soft peaks. To serve, carefully loosen and remove sides of springform pan. Top pie with whipped cream and, if desired, Pan-Roasted Strawberries and fresh mint.
- Wash and quarter 1 cup of strawberries. Add strawberries to a small saute pan with 2 Tbsp. sugar. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat until strawberries are softened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove pan from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside to cool. Once cooled, pour the strawberry mixture on top just prior to serving.
From the Test Kitchen
For a crisper crust, bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 5 minutes; cool.
Cover and refrigerate leftover syrup up to 2 weeks. Use to sweeten iced tea or toss with fresh berries for a quick dessert.