Strawberry-Lemon Fruit Leather
- In a food processor or blender combine strawberries and sugar; cover and process or blend until smooth. Press mixture into a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve (about 3 cups); discard seeds.
- In a large heavy saucepan combine strawberry puree and lemon zest. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until mixture is thick enough to mound slightly on a spoon and reduced to about half (1 1/2 cups) (35 to 40 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees F. Line a 15x10-inch baking pan with parchment paper; coat parchment with cooking spray. Spread strawberry mixture in prepared pan. (For a dehydrator, lightly oil two leather dehydrator sheets. Divide strawberry mixture between prepared leather sheets, spreading to coat evenly.)
- Bake 10 to 11 hours or until fruit leather is dry (surface may be slightly sticky), rotating pan occasionally. (For the dehydrator, dehydrate at 135 degrees F for 12 to 13 hours. If necessary, turn fruit leather over during the last 1 hour to allow bottom to dry.)
- Using parchment, lift fruit leather out of pan; cool completely. Cut fruit leather into 16 pieces and roll pieces into spirals; wrap in plastic wrap. (For the dehydrator, peel fruit leather from each leather sheet. Roll into a spiral; wrap in plastic wrap.) Store at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
From the Test Kitchen
Herbed Strawberry Fruit Leather:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 2 tablespoons snipped fresh tarragon, basil, mint, and/or thyme for the lemon zest.
Per serving: same as above, except 68 cal.
Strawberry-Ginger Fruit Leather:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger for the lemon zest.
Per serving: same as above, except 67 cal.
Strawberry-Kumquat Fruit Leather:
Prepare as directed, except puree 1/2 cup quartered, seeded kumquats with the strawberries and sugar in Step 1. Omit lemon zest.
Per serving: same as above, except 70 cal.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry-Lemon Fruit Leather)
- Per serving:
- 66 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 1 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.