- Place uncooked rice in a blender; cover and blend until powdery (some of the rice will look finely chopped). In a medium bowl combine blended rice, the 1-1/4 cups warm water, the almonds, the stick cinnamon, and, if desired, lime peel. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours.
- Discard stick cinnamon. Transfer half of the mixture to a blender. Add half of the sliced strawberries and 1 cup of the remaining water. Cover and blend until mixture is smooth.
- Line a fine-mesh sieve with two layers of 100 percent cotton cheesecloth; place over another large bowl. Pour the strawberry mixture through the cheesecloth. When liquid has passed through, gather up the cheesecloth and squeeze the remaining liquid into the bowl. Discard solids.
- Stir sugar and vanilla into strained liquid.* Serve over ice. If desired, garnish each serving with a whole strawberry.
From the Test Kitchen
You can cover and chill the sugar-strawberry mixture for up to 3 days before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry Horchata)
- Per serving:
- 322 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 13 mg sodium ,
- 48 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 30 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.