- For dough*, place flour in a large bowl. Make a well in center; pour in warm water. Using a fork, stir just until a shaggy dough forms. Cover with plastic wrap. Let stand 15 minutes. Add oil. Mix until combined and dough forms a ball. Transfer to a lightly floured surface. Knead until soft and smooth, about 5 minutes, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Sprinkle lightly with flour; cover with plastic wrap. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare desired filling; chill. Line the bottom of a bamboo steamer basket with a piece of parchment cut to fit. Using a sharp knife, make several slits in paper; lightly coat with cooking spray.
- Divide dough into four equal portions. Roll one portion of dough at a time into a 12-inch log (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap). Using a ruler as a guide, cut into 1-inch pieces. Press each piece into a circle, then roll to a 4-inch circle. Spoon 1 tablespoon filling in center. Working your way around the dumpling, pull the dough up over filling, creating pleats to enclose. Pinch dough at the top and twist.
- Transfer to prepared steamer basket. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. (Fill and shape remaining batches of dumplings while the first batches steam.)
- Set basket over a skillet of boiling water (not touching water). Cover; steam 10 minutes or until dumplings reach 165 degrees F when an instant-read thermometer is inserted into filling. Serve with desired dipping sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If you're crunched for time, you can use purchased wrappers. Look for those labeled dumpling or gyoza at Asian markets or in the Asian section of the grocery store. (Avoid wonton wrappers as they tend to be too thin.)
Prepare all dumplings through Step 3. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap. Freeze until firm. Transfer to airtight containers. Cover and freeze up to 3 months. Steam for 12 minutes or until done (165 degrees F).
Lemongrass & Ginger Pork
For filling: Combine 1 pound ground pork; 2 thinly sliced green onions; 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and finely chopped (2 tablespoons); 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger; 2 cloves minced garlic; 1 tablespoon soy sauce; and 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. For dipping sauce: Stir together 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 2 green onions, thinly sliced, and 4 pieces pickled ginger, chopped (optional).
For filling: Combine 1 pound ground chicken; 1 poblano chile pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped; 1/4 cup chopped cilantro; 2 tablespoons lime juice; 2 teaspoons ground cumin; 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper; 1 teaspoon olive oil; 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. For dipping sauce: Blend together 1/2 cup canola oil, 1/4 cup lime juice, 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 67 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 0 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin C, 30 mg sodium, 0% calcium, 3% iron
For filling: Combine 2 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed dry; 4 ounces chopped mushrooms; 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil; 2 teaspoons lemon zest; 2 tablespoons lemon juice; 2 cloves garlic, minced; 1 teaspoon olive oil; 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed; 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. For dipping sauce: Blend together 1/2 cup canola oil, 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil, 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 55 calories, 1 g protein, 7 g carbohydrate, 3 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 0 g total sugar, 1% Vitamin A, 4% Vitamin C, 25 mg sodium, 0% calcium, 2% iron
For filling: Combine 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp in shells, peeled, deveined, and very finely chopped; 1/3 cup capers; 2 shallots, finely chopped; 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, 4 cloves garlic, minced; 1 teaspoon olive oil; 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt; and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. For dipping sauce: Combine 1/2 cup melted butter, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, and 2 green onions, thinly sliced.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 61 calories, 3 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 0 g fiber, 0 g total sugar, 2% Vitamin A, 1% Vitamin C, 72 mg sodium, 1% calcium, 3% iron
Nutrition Facts (Steamed Dumplings)
- Per serving:
- 55 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 110 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.