Star Anise Crescents
- Using the tip of a small sharp knife, scrape out the seeds from the vanilla bean. In a food processor process the powdered sugar, vanilla seeds, and five-spice powder until vanilla seeds are well incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, almonds, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets. Shape dough into 1-inch balls then mold into a crescent shape. Place crescents 2 inches apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until set and edges are golden. Cool on cookie sheets for 5 minutes. While warm, roll cookies in powdered sugar mixture. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool. Roll cooled cookies in the powdered sugar mixture again.
From the Test Kitchen
Dough may be shaped into crescents, then frozen on parchment- or foil-lined cookie sheets. Transfer frozen crescents to an airtight container; cover. Freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, arrange frozen crescents on cookie sheets. Let stand at room temperature while the oven preheats. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set and edges are golden.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Star Anise Crescents)
- Per serving:
- 133 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 75 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.