Squash and Sausage Shepherd's Pie
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat six 10 to 12-ounce individual casseroles with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven cook squash in lightly salted boiling water, covered, for 15 to 17 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain; return to Dutch oven. Mash with butter, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Transfer meat to a colander; drain well. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- In the skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in meat, peas and carrots, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes. Divide mixture among prepared dishes. Spread top with butternut squash. Place on a large baking sheet.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. If desired, top with shaved Parmesan and sliced green onion. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Squash and Sausage Shepherd's Pie)
- Per serving:
- 372 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 1146 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 7 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 19 g pro.
Fred Albert 2075 Days Ago
We tried this last fall and everyone loved it so much it is what we will have St Patricks's day this year!