Square Snowflake Sugar Cookies
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill about 2 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. On a lightly floured surface, roll one dough portion at a time to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 3- to 4-inch scalloped square cookie cutter, cut out dough. Using small aspic cutters, cut out shapes inside squares to form desired snowflake designs. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake about 5 minutes; cool on cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle cookies with powdered sugar. Sprinkle centers with light blue and dark blue edible glitters or sugars.
From the Test Kitchen
Look for aspic cutters in specialty cooking stores or online.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Square Snowflake Sugar Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 74 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 15 mg chol. ,
- 49 mg sodium ,
- 10 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.