Angel Shortcake 'n' Lemon Cream
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times. In an extra large mixing bowl beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight).
- By hand, sift about one-fourth of the flour mixture over egg whites; fold in gently. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture by fourths.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula to remove air bubbles. Bake on lowest rack in a 350 degree F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert cake (leave in pan). Cool completely.
- For Lemon Cream, in a chilled mixing bowl beat whipping cream and powdered sugar just until soft peaks form. By hand, fold in yogurt.
- Loosen cake from pan with narrow spatula and gently invert onto serving plate. Serve slices with Lemon Cream and sliced strawberries. Garnish each serving with a lemon peel curl, if desired. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Up to 24 hours ahead, make and bake cake. Cool, then remove cake from pan. Cover and store at room temperature. Up to 4 hours ahead, prepare Lemon Cream. Cover and chill.