Recipes and Cooking Spirited Cookies 3.3 (3) Add your rating & review Halloween revelers will enjoy these spooky yet sweet ghost cookies. Serve them as part of your holiday dessert spread for a ghoulishly good time! By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on September 21, 2018 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 50 mins Bake Time: 10 mins Total Time: 1 hrs Servings: 48 Yield: 48 cookies Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 1 cup butter, softened 1 cup sugar 1 egg ½ teaspoon vanilla 2 cup all-purpose flour ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder Pinch salt Creamy White Frosting or canned white frosting Cocoa-Cream Cheese Frosting or canned chocolate frosting Directions In a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed beat butter and sugar until combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a small bowl whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually beat flour mixture into butter mixture until a soft dough forms. Working on a lightly floured surface, shape dough into a ball. Chill 30 minutes. Roll dough between two pieces of parchment to 1/4-inch thickness. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Remove top sheet of parchment from dough. Use a 21/2-inch circle cutter to cut dough. Place 2 inches apart on prepared sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until firm and slightly crisp. Let cool. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip or a plastic bag with a corner snipped off, pipe on large dollops of Creamy White Frosting or canned frosting. Using an offset spatula pull from center of dollop toward edge of cookie to make the ghost shape. Pipe on small dots of Cocoa-Cream Cheese Frosting or canned chocolate frosting to make faces. Creamy White Frosting: In a large bowl beat 1 cup shortening, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla, and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract with a mixer on medium 30 seconds. Gradually add 2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Add 2 tablespoons milk. Gradually beat in 2 cups additional powdered sugar and 1 to 2 tablespoons additional milk to reach spreading consistency. Makes 3 cups. Cocoa-Cream Cheese Frosting: In a large mixing bowl beat 1, 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened, 1/2 cup butter, softened, and 2 teaspoons vanilla with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in 5 cups powdered sugar and 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to reach spreading consistency. Makes 3 1/2 cups. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 155 Calories 8g Fat 21g Carbs 1g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 48 Calories 155 % Daily Value * Total Fat 8g 10% Saturated Fat 4g 20% Cholesterol 19mg 6% Sodium 51mg 2% Total Carbohydrate 21g 8% Total Sugars 15g Protein 1g Calcium 8mg 1% Iron 0.6mg 3% Potassium 58mg 1% Folate, total 11mcg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.