Spinach-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Trim fat from meat. Make a lengthwise cut, 3/4 inch deep, down the center of the meat. Starting at the bottom of the slit, cut horizontally around the meat, keeping the cut 3/4 inch from the outside edge of the meat and unrolling the meat as you work. When you finish, you should have a flat piece of meat that is an even 3/4-inch thickness.
- For stuffing, in a large bowl combine the next seven ingredients (through black pepper). Stir in egg until combined. Add cheese; stir until combined.
- Spread stuffing over meat to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Starting from a long side, roll up meat into a spiral. Tie at 2-inch intervals with 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Sprinkle meat roll with cracked black pepper. Place roll, seam side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes for medium-rare (140 degrees F). Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing. (The temperature of the meat will rise 5 degrees F while it stands.)
- Remove string. Cut roll into 1/2-inch slices. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the stuffing as directed in Step 2 (do not stuff meat). Transfer to an airtight container; cover and chill up to 24 hours. To serve, prepare meat roll and roast as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Spinach-Stuffed Beef Tenderloin)
- Per serving:
- 214 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 165 mg sodium ,
- 2 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.