Recipes and Cooking Spinach Salad with Indian-Spiced Chickpeas, Apricots, and Onion Make this spinach salad recipe a meal by adding your protein of choice alongside the Indian-spiced chickpeas. (We love grilled chicken or salmon!) By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on November 17, 2021 Print Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Andy Lyons Start To Finish Time: 20 mins Servings: 6 Yield: 12 cups Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients ¼ extra virgin olive oil 2 cloves garlic, minced 2 ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained 3 tablespoon lemon juice 2 teaspoon packed brown sugar 2 teaspoon ground cumin 1 ½ teaspoon garam masala 1 teaspoon ground coriander ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 5 ounce packages fresh baby spinach ¾ cup dried apricots, cut into thin slices ½ small red onion, thinly sliced Toasted Pappadams (optional) Toasted Pappadams 4 7-inch plain pappadams Directions In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic; cook for 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat. Add garbanzo beans, lemon juice, brown sugar, cumin, garam masala, coriander, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper. Return skillet to heat. Bring mixture just to a simmer. Cover skillet and set aside. In a large bowl combine spinach, apricots, and red onion. Add warm chickpea mixture; toss well to combine. Divide salad among serving plates. If desired, garnish with broken pieces of Toasted Pappadams. Serve immediately. Toasted Pappadams Preheat broiler. Arrange pappadams in a single layer on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat for 15 to 30 seconds or until bubbly and golden on one side. Using tongs, gently turn pappadams; broil about 5 seconds or until bubbly and golden on the other side. Let cool. Break each pappadam into 5 or 6 pieces. Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 339 Calories 11g Fat 53g Carbs 9g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 6 Calories 339 % Daily Value * Total Fat 11g 14% Saturated Fat 1g 5% Sodium 325mg 14% Total Carbohydrate 53g 19% Total Sugars 22g Protein 9g Vitamin C 23mg 115% Calcium 131.3mg 10% Iron 5mg 28% Potassium 591mg 13% Folate, total 189.5mcg Vitamin B-6 0.8mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.