Spicy Triple-Pepper Salsa
- Working in batches, place tomatoes in a food processor; cover and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to an 8- to 10-quart stainless-steel, enamel, or nonstick heavy pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, 2 hours or until tomatoes are reduced to 12 cups, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place poblano and banana peppers, skin sides up, on two foil-lined large baking sheets. Cut off the top 1/2 inch of each garlic bulb to expose ends of individual cloves. Leaving garlic bulbs whole, remove any loose, papery outer layers. Place bulbs, cut sides up, on a double thickness of foil; drizzle with oil. Bring foil up around bulbs and fold edges together to loosely enclose. Place garlic packet on oven rack.
- Roast peppers alongside garlic, one pan at a time, 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are charred and garlic feels soft when squeezed. Bring foil up around peppers and fold edges together to enclose; cool. Cool garlic packet on a wire rack. Squeeze garlic cloves into food processor; cover and process until nearly smooth. Peel off and discard pepper skins; chop peppers.
- Add roasted peppers and garlic and remaining ingredients to tomatoes. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes or until reduced to 15 cups.
- Ladle hot salsa into hot sterilized pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. (Store any remaining salsa in the refrigerator up to 1 week before serving.) Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner 15 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove; cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Triple-Pepper Salsa)
- Per serving:
- 36 kcal ,
- 1 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 163 mg sodium ,
- 7 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.