Spicy Pork Tenderloin Green Chili
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Cut chile peppers in half lengthwise; remove stems, seeds, and memmbranes.* Place pepper halves, cut sides down, on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes or until peppers are charred and very tender. Bring foil up around peppers and fold edges together to enclose. Let stand about 15 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Using a sharp knife, carefully remove and discard skins; chop chile peppers.
- Meanwhile, trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook meat in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown. Add onions and garlic; cook about 5 minutes more or just until onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Add tomatillos, cumin, and oregano; cook for 3 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broth and the water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans, lime juice, and chopped chile peppers. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes more.
- Cool chili slightly and transfer to freezer containers. Seal and freeze for up to 2 months.**
- To serve, thaw chili in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat about 30 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle each serving with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
If you prefer, cool chili slightly and transfer to airtight storage containers. Cover and chill for up to 3 days. To serve, transfer to a 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven and heat as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Pork Tenderloin Green Chili)
- Per serving:
- 304 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 74 mg chol. ,
- 364 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 10 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 32 g pro.