Spicy Pork Sandwich with Grilled Peach Chutney and Quick Pickles
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place peach halves, cut sides down, and jalapeno pepper on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. When cool enough to handle, chop peach. Stem, seed, and chop jalapeno pepper.**
- For peach chutney, in a medium saucepan combine chopped peach and jalapeno pepper, 2 tablespoons of the sugar, 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, the ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes; cool. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- For quick pickles, use a vegetable peeler to cut cucumber lengthwise into thin "ribbons." In a medium bowl combine the remaining 4 tablespoons sugar, the remaining 4 tablespoons vinegar, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and the water, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in cucumber and red onion. Cover and chill until ready to serve (up to 24 hours), stirring occasionally. Drain before serving.
- Trim fat from meat. Sprinkle meat with tandoori seasoning and the 1/4 teaspoon salt; rub in with your fingers. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium-low heat above pan. Place meat on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of meat registers 145 degrees F. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium-low. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above, except place meat on a rack in a roasting pan.)
- Remove meat from grill; cover with foil and let stand for 15 minute before slicing. (The meats temperature will rise 10 degrees F during standing.) Thinly slice pork.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Place rolls, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted. Remove tops of rolls from baking sheet. Layer bottoms of rolls with meat and cheese. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Top with quick pickles and peach chutney; replace tops of rolls.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find tandoori seasoning blend, make your own. In a small bowl combine 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 1 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom, and 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Pork Sandwich with Grilled Peach Chutney and Quick Pickles)
- Per serving:
- 446 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 98 mg chol. ,
- 771 mg sodium ,
- 40 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 37 g pro.