Spicy Pork and Chile Stew
- In a small bowl combine ancho peppers and guajillo peppers. Pour boiling water over peppers to cover. Let stand 20 minutes; drain peppers, discarding water.
- In a food processor or blender combine drained peppers and the next six ingredients (through cayenne pepper). Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Cover and process until mixture is nearly smooth.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add pork, half at a time; cook and stir until browned. Place pork in a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Add onion to skillet; cook and stir about 6 minutes or until tender. Add cooked onion, the pureed pepper mixture, the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth, and the orange juice to pork in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Add next four ingredients (through salt).
- If desired, top servings with sliced avocado, chopped tomato, and/or cilantro. Serve with warm flour tortillas.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare the chile puree through Step 2. Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Cut up the pork; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Continue as directed in Step 3.
To warm tortillas, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Stack tortillas and wrap them tightly in foil. Heat for about 10 minutes or until tortillas are heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Pork and Chile Stew)
- Per serving:
- 537 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 113 mg chol. ,
- 852 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 8 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 43 g pro.