Spicy Middle Eastern Chickpea Stew
- In a large saucepan heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until tender and just starting to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in salt, paprika, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Cook and stir about 30 seconds more or until fragrant.
- Add undrained tomatoes. garbanzo beans, broth, and raisins. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Top individual servings with toasted almonds and, if desired, mint.
From the Test Kitchen
You can use cannellini beans instead of garbanzo beans.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Middle Eastern Chickpea Stew)
- Per serving:
- 352 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 1166 mg sodium ,
- 61 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.