Spicy Cornbread Cobs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place corn cob molds** or thirty-six 1 3/4-inch muffin cups in oven.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and paprika. Stir in corn, roasted pepper, and onion.
- In a small bowl combine egg, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Remove molds or muffin cups from oven; brush with the remaining 2 tablespoons melted butter. Carefully spoon batter into molds or cups, filling each about two-thirds full.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes for molds (12 to 15 minutes for cups) or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Invert cornbread sticks onto wire racks (or remove muffins from cups and place on wire racks). Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
To make 3/4 cup sour milk, place 2 teaspoons lemon juice or vinegar in a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 3/4 cup total liquid; stir. Let stand for 5 minutes before using.
If you don't own 17 to 20 corn cob molds, bake the cornbread sticks in batches, wiping the molds and brushing them with melted butter before each use.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Cornbread Cobs )
- Per serving:
- 110 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 24 mg chol. ,
- 285 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 2 g pro.