Spicy Chipotle-Bourbon Turkey Legs
The day before:
- Place turkey in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, in a small bowl combine 1/2 cup cola, 1/4 cup bourbon, oil, garlic, salt, and, if desired, cayenne pepper. Pour marinade over turkey. Seal bag; turn to coat turkey. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan combine barbecue sauce, 3 tablespoons cola, 3 tablespoons bourbon, and chipotle peppers. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Drain turkey, discarding marinade. Tote turkey and sauce in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill (with a cover). For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above pan. Place turkey on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours or until turkey is no longer pink (180 degrees F). (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Grill as above.)
- Meanwhile, transfer sauce to a medium disposable foil pan. After turkey has been grilling about 15 minutes, add sauce to grill to reheat. Brush turkey frequently with sauce during the last 10 minutes of grilling. Serve turkey with the remaining sauce. Provide moist towelettes when serving.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (with a cover)
Medium disposable foil pan
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Chipotle-Bourbon Turkey Legs)
- Per serving:
- 471 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 171 mg chol. ,
- 953 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 17 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.