Spicy Ancho Chili with Tomatillos
- In a blender or food processor combine tomatillos, cilantro, ancho peppers, and jalapeno pepper. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Transfer tomatillo mixture to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Pour tomatoes into blender or food processor. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add pureed tomatoes to mixture in cooker; set aside.
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1/2-inch pieces. Lightly sprinkle meat with salt and black pepper. In a Dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Add half of the meat; cook until brown. Add meat to mixture in cooker. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining meat, adding onions, sweet peppers, and garlic for the last 3 minutes of cooking. Add beans, corn, chili powder, and oregano to cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Ladle chili into bowls. Serve with desired toppings.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
For easy cleanup:
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Ancho Chili with Tomatillos)
- Per serving:
- 651 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 13 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 93 mg chol. ,
- 919 mg sodium ,
- 54 g carb. ,
- 15 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 49 g pro.