Spice Tea Breakfast Bread Pudding
- Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat milk over medium heat just until simmering. Remove from heat. Add dried cherries and dried apricots (if using). Place loose tea, if using, in a tea strainer basket. (Or cut a double layer of 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth into a 4-inch square. Place loose tea on cheesecloth square; tie into a bundle with clean kitchen string.) Add loose tea or tea bags to milk mixture; let steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea, pressing gently to drain excess tea into saucepan. Meanwhile, peel and remove stem and seeds from persimmon(s), if using; cut into bite-size pieces. Add persimmon, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and salt to milk mixture; whisk or stir to combine.
- Place dry bread cubes in a very large bowl. Add milk mixture to bread; stir gently to combine. Spoon bread mixture into the prepared baking dish. If desired, cover with foil and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover with foil. Bake for 35 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until set in center and top is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes. If desired, serve with yogurt.
From the Test Kitchen
To dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread cubes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until bread cubes are dry, carefully stirring twice. (Or let bread cubes stand, loosely covered, at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.)
Nutrition Facts (Spice Tea Breakfast Bread Pudding)
- Per serving:
- 167 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 110 mg chol. ,
- 189 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 14 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.