Spice Snowball Cookies (Lemon-Ginger Snowballs)
- In large mixing bowl beat shortening, fresh ginger, vanilla, tea, and lemon peel with an electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy. Add brown sugar; beat until well-combined. Beat in ground ginger, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat in eggs. Beat in as much of the flour as you can; stir in any remaining by hand. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar and place on two ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Dip in Powdered Sugar Glaze and add toppings; let stand on waxed paper to dry.
From the Test Kitchen
Cut open the tea bag and add the loose tea to the batter. (Do not brew the tea.)
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Molasses Tea Cookies:
Substitute 1/4 cup molasses for 1/2 cup of the brown sugar and increase flour to 2-3/4 cups. Add 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves with the ground ginger. Shape as directed above. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are set.
Chocolate Tea Cookies:
Add 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder with the brown sugar. Reduce flour to 2-1/3 cups. Shape as directed above. Bake for 10 minutes or until edges are set.
Powdered Sugar Glaze
- In a medium bowl combine powdered sugar and water until glaze is a thick drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Spice Snowball Cookies (Lemon-Ginger Snowballs))
- Per serving:
- 75 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 9 mg chol. ,
- 35 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.