Spectacular Cinnamon-Almond Ring
- In a large bowl combine 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, the water, the 1/2 cup butter, the 3 tablespoons sugar, and the salt just until warm (120 degrees F to 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture along with eggs, lemon peel, and orange peel. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in 1 cup of the sliced almonds and as much of the remaining flour as you can.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover; let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 1 hour).
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside.
- For filling, in a small bowl combine the 6 tablespoons softened butter, the 2/3 cup sugar, and the cinnamon.
- Roll dough into a 20x12-inch rectangle. Spread filling evenly over dough to within 1/2 inch of edges. Sprinkle filling with remaining almonds. Roll up rectangle, starting from a long side. Seal seam. Carefully place dough, seam side down, in prepared pan, bringing ends together to form a ring. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 45 minutes).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until golden, covering with foil the last 15 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. Carefully invert tube pan onto a wire rack. Remove bread from pan and cool thoroughly. Drizzle with Powdered Sugar Icing.
From the Test Kitchen
Mix and knead dough as directed. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover and chill dough in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator and let stand, covered, at room temperature for 15 minutes. Punch down dough. Continue as directed.
Powdered Sugar Icing
- In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Stir in enough additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make icing a drizzling consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Spectacular Cinnamon-Almond Ring)
- Per serving:
- 404 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 234 mg sodium ,
- 55 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.