- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat 1 cup butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon milk, 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
- For each angel, shape dough into one 1 1/4-inch ball, one 1-inch ball, two 3/4-inch balls, and two 1/2-inch balls. On a prepared cookie sheet, flatten the largest ball to a 1/4-inch thick, narrow triangle to form the body. For the head attach the 1-inch ball to the top of the point and flatten to a 1/4-inch thick circle. For feet, attach the 1/2-inch balls to the base of the triangle. For wings, attach the 3/4-inch balls to the sides of the triangle and shape into wings. Shape angels on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inches between each angel. If desired, cut small slits in bottoms of wings for "feathers" and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until edges are set. Cool on cookie sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip, pipe frosting in a line across the top of the face to create a halo; sprinkle halo with coarse sugar. Using a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip, pipe frosting back and forth across body to cover. Let stand until set. Reserve any remaining frosting for another use.
From the Test Kitchen
Place cookies in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze undecorated cookies for up to 3 months. If frozen, thaw and decorate as directed.
- In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 1-1/4 cups of the powdered sugar, the 1 tablespoon milk, vanilla, and almond extract. Beat in the remaining 1-1/4 cups powdered sugar until smooth. Add additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make frosting piping consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Sparkling Angels)
- Per serving:
- 507 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 74 mg chol. ,
- 304 mg sodium ,
- 62 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 40 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.