Recipes and Cooking Spanakopita 3.0 (1) 1 Review This appetizer recipe looks so fancy, but using frozen phyllo dough makes it a cinch to make. Layer the pastry with spinach, feta, and oregano for a holiday appetizer with Greek flavor inspiration. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Published on October 1, 2019 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Photo: Adam Albright Photography Inc. Hands On Time: 50 mins Total Time: 1 hrs 5 mins Servings: 36 Yield: 36 triangles Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 tablespoon butter ½ cup finely chopped onion 1 clove garlic, minced 1 10 ounce pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained 1 ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (6 oz.) ½ teaspoon dried oregano, crushed 24 sheets frozen phyllo dough (14x9-inch rectangles), thawed ½ cup butter, melted Directions For filling: In a large skillet melt butter over medium. Add onion and garlic. Cook and stir 5 minutes or until onion is tender. In a medium bowl combine onion mixture, spinach, feta, and oregano. Line a large baking sheet with waxed paper. Unfold phyllo; remove a sheet. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out.) Lightly brush sheet with some of the melted butter. Place another phyllo sheet on top; brush with butter. Cut the two layered sheets lengthwise into three strips. Spoon one rounded teaspoon filling 1 inch from one end of each strip. To fold into a triangle, bring a corner over filling so short edge lines up with a long side edge. Continue folding the length of strip to form a triangle that encloses the filling. Place on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining phyllo, melted butter, and filling. Freeze 1 hour or until firm. Transfer to freezer containers. Freeze up to 2 months. To serve: Preheat oven to 375°F. Place frozen triangles on a baking sheet; brush with additional melted butter. Bake 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Makes 36 spanakopita. Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 87 Calories 5g Fat 8g Carbs 2g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 36 Calories 87 % Daily Value * Total Fat 5g 6% Saturated Fat 3g 15% Cholesterol 14mg 5% Sodium 161mg 7% Total Carbohydrate 8g 3% Total Sugars 1g Protein 2g Vitamin C 0.6mg 3% Calcium 83mg 6% Iron 1mg 6% Potassium 90mg 2% Folate, total 50.2mcg Vitamin B-12 0.2mcg Vitamin B-6 0.1mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.