Spaghetti with Sauce Italiano
- In a large skillet cook sausage, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together tomatoes, mushrooms (if desired), tomato paste, bay leaf, oregano, salt, and black pepper. Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in sweet pepper.
- Serve meat mixture over hot cooked spaghetti. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Spaghetti with Spicy Tomato-Cream Sauce:
Prepare as directed, except use hot Italian sausage and stir 1/2 cup whipping cream into sauce before serving.
Nutrition Facts per serving: 621 cal., 30 g fat (15 g sat. fat), 78 mg chol., 1,514 mg sodium, 62 g carb., 6 g fiber, 28 g pro.
Nutrition Facts (Spaghetti with Sauce Italiano)
- Per serving:
- 548 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 57 mg chol. ,
- 1385 mg sodium ,
- 60 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.