Spaghetti Sauce with Italian Sausage
- In a large skillet cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium-high heat until meat is brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, mushrooms, sweet pepper, bay leaf, Italian seasoning, black pepper, and salt. Stir in meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve sauce over spaghetti. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
For 5- to 6-quart slow cooker:
Double all ingredients. Prepare as directed. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
For 1-quart slow cooker:
Omit bay leaf. Halve the remaining ingredients. Prepare as directed. Cook for 10 to 12 hours. Makes 2 or 3 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Spaghetti Sauce with Italian Sausage)
- Per serving:
- 334 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 42 mg chol. ,
- 939 mg sodium ,
- 32 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.