Soy- and Chile-Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Shiitake Mushrooms
- Trim Brussels sprouts;** cut lengthwise into quarters. Finely chop one of the green onions; cut the remaining three green onions diagonally into 1-inch pieces. In a small bowl stir together orange peel, orange juice, soy sauce, honey, serrano pepper, and garlic. Set aside.
- Working in a well-ventilated area, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, and green onions. Cook and stir for 8 to 10 minutes or until sprouts are blackened in places and are nearly tender.
- Pour orange juice mixture over sprout mixture; toss to coat. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes more or until sprouts are tender.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To trim Brussels sprouts, cut off the stems just at the spot where the leaves start to grow. Remove dark green outer leaves until the tender, light green leaves are uniformly exposed.
Nutrition Facts (Soy- and Chile-Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Shiitake Mushrooms)
- Per serving:
- 99 kcal ,
- 5 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 233 mg sodium ,
- 14 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.