Southwestern Beef Kabobs with Corn and Orzo Salad
- Soak skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook orzo according to package directions, adding corn kernels for the last minute of cooking time. Drain orzo and corn in a colander; rinse with cold water.
- In large bowl combine orzo, corn, sweet pepper, tomatoes, beans, onion, and zucchini.
- In a small jar with a screw-top lid combine olive oil, honey, lime peel, lime juice, garlic, jalapeno, snipped cilantro, and salt. Shake well. Add dressing to orzo mixture; mix well.
- In a resealable plastic bag combine chili powder, garlic salt, cumin, and oregano. Seal bag and shake to mix. Add beef cubes to bag. Seal bag and shake to coat. Thread beef cubes evenly onto bamboo skewers.
- Preheat broiler. Place kabobs on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from heat for 8 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once.
- Transfer orzo mixture to a large platter; arrange beef kabobs on top. If desired, garnish with lime slices and cilantro sprigs.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do not touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Beef can be cubed several hours ahead, wrapped, and refrigerated. Salad can be made and refrigerated up to 24 hours before serving.
For a charcoal grill, grill on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes or until desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place kabobs on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.)
Nutrition Facts (Southwestern Beef Kabobs with Corn and Orzo Salad)
- Per serving:
- 422 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 52 mg chol. ,
- 550 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 30 g pro.