Southwest Poblano-Chorizo Strata
- In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Add onions to the reserved drippings. Cook over medium heat about 10 minutes or just until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in poblano peppers and sweet pepper; cook about 5 minutes more or just until peppers are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in sausage.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Spread half of the bread cubes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Spoon half of the sausage mixture over bread cubes in dish. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, oregano, and paprika. Pour evenly over layers in baking dish.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 45 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of strata registers 170 degrees F, topping with queso fresco for the last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Southwest Poblano-Chorizo Strata)
- Per serving:
- 257 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 156 mg chol. ,
- 412 mg sodium ,
- 17 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 15 g pro.