Southern Fried Chicken Dinner in a Bowl
- For slaw, in a large bowl combine cabbage, carrots, and green onions; toss to mix. In a small bowl stir together mayonnaise, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add dressing to cabbage mixture, tossing to combine. Cover and chill for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut corn muffins into 1-inch cubes. Place cubes in a large shallow baking pan; drizzle with melted butter, tossing to coat. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes or until crisp, stirring twice. Set aside.
- Transfer slaw mixture to an 8- to 10-cup clear glass bowl. Cut chicken into strips. Arrange chicken strips evenly over slaw. Spoon beans over chicken pieces, spreading evenly. Sprinkle corn muffin cubes over beans. Top with tomatoes. If desired, cover and chill for up to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, spoon dressing over all.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, substitute 5 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix) for cabbage and carrots, or substitute 1 pint deli coleslaw for the slaw mixture and dressing.
For a lighter recipe, use reduced-fat versions of the mayonnaise and ranch salad dressing.
Nutrition Facts (Southern Fried Chicken Dinner in a Bowl)
- Per serving:
- 482 kcal ,
- 32 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat ,
- 13 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 51 mg chol. ,
- 886 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 11 g pro.